Pippa Middleton’s Boxing Day Ham
The ham is completely cooked in the liquid, so can be stored for up to 3 days before you add the glaze and roast it.
- 2kg boned ham joint
- 2 litres apple juice
- 2-3 litres cider
- 1 leek
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion
- black peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons marmalade
- 3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 10 cloves
- Put a 2kg boned ham joint in a large pan with 2 litres apple juice, 2-3 litres cider and enough water to cover.
- Add 1 trimmed and coarsely sliced leek, 2 coarsely sliced celery stalks, 2 bay leaves, 1 peeled and chopped onion and 2 teaspoons black peppercorns and bring to the boil.
- Skim off any scum. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 2 hours, until the ham is tender. Drain the ham and discard the vegetables and other flavourings. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
- Mix together 4 tablespoons marmalade and 3 tablespoons soft brown sugar to form a paste.
- Remove the skin from the ham and score the fat.
- Spread on the marmalade mixture, then stud with 10 cloves and roast for 45 minutes, until golden and glistening.
Extracted from ‘Celebrate’ by Pippa Middleton, HB £25.00 (Penquin Books)