This carrot and parsnip combo is simply roasted with honey and no fuss, but will still be perfectly cooked and the honey will bring out the natural flavours.
Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Pour the butter or oil into a roasting tray and place in the oven to heat up for 5–10 minutes. When hot, remove from the oven and add the carrots and parsnips. Drizzle over the honey and a decent splash of water. Season with salt and pepper and add the thyme sprigs (if using).
Give the carrots and parsnips a good toss to make sure they are evenly coated in the oil and honey, then place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, giving them a good stir halfway through. You want the vegetables to be cooked through and lightly caramelised, but still retain some bite.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 500g small to medium carrots, peeled but kept whole with a little bit of green ‘hair’ left on
- 500g parsnips, peeled, cut into quarters lengthways, and parboiled for 5 minutes
- 4 tablespoons honey
- a few thyme sprigs (but only if you like…)
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
Recipe and photographs are from Season’s Eatings by Gizzy Erskine, with photography by Emma Lee, published by Mitchell Beazley, RRP £15.